Dr. Chang-Yang Lee is Professor of Economics and Public Policy, whose main research interest broadly covers economics of innovation and industrial and innovation policy. He earned his master's and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and has an extensive experience in policy making at the Ministry of Trade and Industry of Korea for almost 15 years. He has been advising several government agencies and private companies.
- - Harvard University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Ph.D. in Public Policy (Economics of Innovation) (1999)
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, MPA (1995)
- 서울대학교 행정대학원, 석사 (정책학) (1987)
- 서울대학교 사회과학대학, 학사 (정치학, 경제학 부전공) (1985)
- < 수상 >
- 올해의 교수상 (교육 부문, KAIST 경영대학, 2017)
- KAIST 우수강의대상 (2014)
- 동아일보 "10년뒤 한국을 빛낼 100인" 선정 (2013)
- KAIST 학술상 (2010)
- 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century (2009, IBC)
- Marquis Who's Who in the World (26th ed., 2009)
- KAIST 창의강의대상 (2008)
- 제10회 송곡과학기술상 (2008, 과학기술 이론 및 정책 분야)
- Outstanding Teaching Award (KAIST 경영대학, 2005)
- Best Research Award (KAIST 경영대학, 2004)
- 제33회 매경 이코노미스트상 (2003)
- KAIST 우수강의상 (2002, 2005)
< 학계 >
- KAIST 교수평의회 위원 (2014~2017)
- KAIST 경영대학 EMBA(Executive MBA) 책임교수 (2009~2011)
- KAIST 테크노경영대학원 경영공학 책임교수 (2007~2008)
- Harvard University Visiting Scholar (2005-2006)
- KAIST 경영대학 조교수/부교수/정교수 (2000~현재)
< 정부 및 공공 분야>
- 신성장위원회 위원장 (금융위원회) (2017~2018)
- 산업통상자원부장관 경제자문관 (2016~2017)
- 신산업민관협의회 위원 (산업통상자원부) (2016~2017)
- 기초기술연구회 기획평가위원 (2011~2014)
- 공기업 경영평가위원 (R&D 및 총괄 부문) (2002~2004)
- 산업자원부 (현, 산업통상자원부) 산업정책과장 (1999)
- 대통령 비상경제대책위원회 전문위원 (산업정책 및 기업구조조정) (1997-1998)
- 통상산업부 장관비서관 (1990-1991)
- 상공부 사무관 및 통상산업부 서기관 (1986-1996)
- 제29회 행정고시 수석 합격 (1985)
- - LG Display 사외이사 (2019~현재)
- SK hynix 사외이사 (2012~2018)
- TCK 사외이사 (2009~2014)
- 한국산업단지공단 사외이사 (2008~2011)
Publications & Research
- < 최근 해외 저널 >
Chang-Yang Lee and Mincheol Choi, 2021, Technological Diversification and R&D Productivity: The Moderating Effects of Knowledge Spillovers and Core-technology Competence, Technovation, 104.
Chang-Yang Lee and Mincheol Choi, 2020, Power-Law Distributions of Corporate Innovative Output: Evidence from U.S. Patent Data, Scientometrics, 122(1), pp. 519-554.
Chang-Yang Lee and Mincheol Choi, 2020, The Peter Pan Syndrome for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises: Evidence from Korean Manufacturing Firms, Managerial and Decision Economics, 41(3), pp. 426-445.
Chang-Yang Lee and Byeong-Seok Koo, 2019, The Moderating Role of Competence Specialization in the Effect of External R&D on Innovative Performance, R&D Management, 49(4), pp. 574-594.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2018, Geographical Clustering and Firm Growth: Differential Growth Performance among Clustered Firms, Research Policy, 47(6), pp. 1173-1184.
Chang-Yang Lee, Taeyoon Sung, and Hyeonmi Ahn, 2017, What Determines Firms' R&D Intensity in Business Groups with Cross-ownership Structures?, Industry and Innovation, 24(6), pp. 633-658.
Chang-Yang Lee, Ji-Hwan Lee, and Ajaj Gaur, 2017, Are Large Business Groups Conducive to Industry Innovation? The Moderating Role of Technological Appropriability, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 34 (2), pp. 313-337.
Chang-Yang Lee and Jungho Kim, 2016, Technological Regimes and Firm Survival, Research Policy, 45(1), pp. 113-124.
Chang-Yang Lee, Jungho Kim, and Yunok Cho, 2016, Technological Diversification, Core-technology Competence, and Firm Growth, Research Policy, 45(1), pp. 232-243.
Chang-Yang Lee and Yuri Cho, 2014, Technological Capability, Agglomeration Economies, and Firm Location Choice, Regional Studies, 48(8), pp. 1337-1352.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2012, Learning-by-doing in R&D, Knowledge Threshold, and Technological Divide, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 22(1), pp. 109-132.
Chang-Yang Lee and Jungho Kim, 2011, Technological Regimes and the Persistence of First-mover Advantages, Industrial and Corporate Change, 20(5), pp. 1464-3650.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2011, The Differential Effects of Public R&D Support on Firm R&D: Theory and Evidence from Multi-country Data, Technovation, 31(5~6), pp. 256-269.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2010, A Theory of Firm Growth: Learning Capability, Knowledge Threshold, and Patterns of Growth, Research Policy, 39(2), pp. 278-298.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2009, Do Firms in Clusters Invest in R&D More Intensively? Theory and Evidence from Multi-country Data, Research Policy, 38(7), pp. 1159-1171.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2009, Competition Favors the Prepared Firm: Firms' R&D Responses to Competitive Market Pressure, Research Policy, 38(5), pp. 861-870.
Chang-Yang Lee and Jaesun Noh, 2009, The Relationship between R&D Concentration and Industry R&D Intensity: A Simple Model and Some Evidence, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 18, pp. 353-368.
Chang-Yang Lee and Ishitiaq P. Mahmood, 2009, Inter-industry Differences in Profitability: The Legacy of the Structure-Efficiency Debate Revisited, Industrial and Corporate Change, 18(3), pp. 351-380.
Chang-Yang Lee and Taeyoon Sung, 2005, Schumpeter's Legacy: A New Perspective on the Relationship between Firm Size and R&D, Research Policy, 34(6), pp. 914-931.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2005, A New Perspective on Industry R&D and Market Structure, Journal of Industrial Economics, 53(1), pp. 101-121.
Chang-Yang Lee and Ishitiaq P. Mahmood, 2004, Business Groups: Entry Barrier-Innovation Debate Revisited, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 54, pp. 513-531.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2003, A Simple Theory and Evidence on the Determinants of Firm R&D, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 12, pp. 385-395.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2003, Firm Density and Industry R&D Intensity: Theory and Evidence, Review of Industrial Organization, 22, pp. 139-158.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2002, Advertising, Its Determinants, and Market Structure, Review of Industrial Organization, 21, pp. 89-101.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2002, A Simple Model of R&D: An Extension of the Dorfman-Steiner Theorem, 2002, Applied Economics Letters, 9(7), pp. 449-452.
Chang-Yang Lee, 2002, Industry R&D Intensity Distributions: Regularities and Underlying Determinants, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 12, pp. 307-342.
- - Economics of Innovation
- Innovation Strategy and Policy
- Industrial and Technolgy Policy
언론기고 및 출연활동
- - 조선일보, 동아일보, 한국경제신문, 매일경제신문, 문화일보 등에 칼럼 게재
- 개인 블로그 이창양 교수의 경제산책 (drcylee.blog.me) 운영